D forums now live!

Stewart Gordon smjg_1998 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 20 05:19:20 PST 2012

On 19/02/2012 14:22, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
> On Thursday, 16 February 2012 at 13:22:43 UTC, bearophile wrote:
>> A screen grab:
>> http://oi39.tinypic.com/2s7e1dy.jpg
>
> I'm not quite sure what browser or configuration you're using, but the screenshot does not
> represent the intended look of the forums.

An astute observation - it represents the actual look to the user who posted the screenshot.

But it does seem that the user has disabled a handful of CSS features by some means.  Of
course, text zoom, font/colour overrides and disabling images are things that any web page
design needs to be able to cope with.  Switching off CSS completely is another
circumstance in which a page should still come out readable and well-structured, even if
it doesn't look very good.  On the other hand, if someone wants to put crazy stuff in a
user stylesheet like

     h1, h2, h3 {
         font-size: 0.5em;
     }
     p {
         border: 10px solid grey !important;
         font-size: 2em;
     }

_then_ I suppose it's their problem when they find that no web page looks sane.

<snip>
> I don't understand how you can claim that it takes up vertical space when it's alongside
> the post. The only case where it would waste vertical space is when the post is a few
> lines long.

Under that user's settings, it makes the message bodies narrower, causing them to take up
more lines.

>> - The menu on the left of the page steals a large amount of space. The threads are often
>> long, while the D menu on the left is short, so there's often a huge amount of space
>> wasted on the page. The result is a too much thin space left for messages text. In my
>> screen about 54% of the horizontal space is wasted for things that are not messages
>> text. I suggest to fix this, I'd like to something more like 80% of it left to messages
>> text.
>
> Viewing the forum in a modern browser will cause the menu on the left to be hidden when
> there is insufficient space to show the full width of messages.

Doesn't quite work for me as I try.  At 1280px width and with text zoomed more than two or
three notches, I get header text running into the border of the main body of the page, and
the navigation column remaining on the screen and causing lines to break.

Also, with CSS switched off, message lines are all run together.  If you want preformatted
text, use <pre>.  It's what it's there for.

Stewart.