GoingNative 6: The D Episode with Walter Bright and Andrei Alexandrescu

Jeff Nowakowski jeff at dilacero.org
Fri Feb 24 10:28:38 PST 2012

On 02/24/2012 12:09 AM, Alex Rønne Petersen wrote:

> They could have used the CLI. Both MS.NET and Mono have good garbage
> collectors, and Mono in particular has SIMD intrinsics, an LLVM back
> end, etc.
>
> I've heard a lot of people complain that Scala doesn't run on .NET.

Scala initially ran on .NET, but there was more traction with the Java
crowd, so they stopped supporting it. As I understand it, .NET support
has recently been funded by Microsoft and is actively being worked on.

There was, and still is, a much greater need for Scala on the JVM than
on .NET, because Java was stagnating while Microsoft's C# language was
getting big improvements. As for Mono, there's a lot of mistrust against
following Microsoft's lead from the Linux crowd. So while there's some
interest in Scala on .NET, it pales in comparison to the JVM.