You crapper encounter...

Brad Roberts braddr at puremagic.com
Sun Feb 26 13:24:10 PST 2012

On Sunday, 26 February 2012 at 14:47:53 UTC, Lars T. Kyllingstad
wrote:
> On 26/02/12 11:24, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
>> On Sunday, February 26, 2012 11:05:33 simendsjo wrote:
>> I know that there's at least one site out there which will
>> generate random
>> research papers for you, but even those are way better than
>> this, because that
>> sort of thing takes real, valid sentences and puts them
>> together in way that
>> its AI thinks will sound good (and the result with the
>> research papers is stuff
>> that sounds good until you start trying to figure out what it
>> actually means)
>
> Someone actually managed to get a paper like this accepted to a
> conference. :)
>
> http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/scigen/
>
> -Lars

There's a group of sci-fi authors that took this concept to a
whole new level (to demonstrate how awful a publisher was).  The
result of their work is nothing short of amazing:

     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlanta_Nights

An excerpt from that page:

==========
In retaliation, a group of science fiction and fantasy authors
under the direction of James D. Macdonald collaborated on a
deliberately low-quality work, complete with obvious grammatical
errors, nonsensical passages, and a complete lack of a coherent
plot. The effort was partly inspired by another collaborative
"hoax" work, Naked Came the Stranger, as the working title of
Atlanta Nights was Naked Came the Badfic.[6]

The distinctive flaws of Atlanta Nights include nonidentical
chapters written by two different authors from the same segment
of outline (13 and 15), a missing chapter (21), two chapters that
are word-for-word identical to each other (4 and 17), two
different chapters with the same chapter number (12 and 12), and
a chapter "written" by a computer program that generated random
text based on patterns found in the previous chapters (34).
Characters change gender and race; they die and reappear without
explanation. Spelling and grammar are nonstandard and the
formatting is inconsistent. The initials of characters who were
named in the book spelled out the phrase "PublishAmerica is a
vanity press."[7]

Under Macdonald's direction, the finale revealed that all the
previous events of the plot had been a dream, although the book
continues for several more chapters.

I've tried to read it, several times.  The first chapter is so
horribly perfectly wonderfully bad writing.  I've never made it
to chapter 2.

Later,
Brad