Attractive Chaos' blog entry: Timeline of the D programming language

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Tue Feb 28 14:45:09 PST 2012

Andrei Alexandrescu:

> Found this today:
>
> http://attractivechaos.wordpress.com/2012/02/28/timeline-of-the-d-programming-language/

>From the blog post:

>As an outsider, I think the first priority for D is to quickly stabilize the compiler and the standard library to convince everyone that programs written now will still be compiled years later.<

I don't agree. If we try to do that too much, we freeze the warts of language and of Phobos, for a small gain. Programmers that want warts and language stability know where to find it (elsewhere), and even languages much older than D (like C++11) break compatibility with the past to improve. So I think D has to fix its small warts (most of them are already in Bugzilla, like array syntax, vector op syntax, override, property, and so on), Phobos needs to not be ice-frozen because the experience of real world usage suggests better APIs. I think Phobos APIs need to be less frozen.

Bye,
bearophile