Visual D 0.3.30 released: Code completion from semantic analysis on the horizon

Rainer Schuetze r.sagitario at gmx.de
Mon Jan 9 10:59:35 PST 2012

On 09.01.2012 17:04, Alex Rønne Petersen wrote:
> On 07-01-2012 15:41, Rainer Schuetze wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'd like to announce the release of a new version of Visual D.
>>

> Great news!
>
> How should the new experimental code completion be triggered, exactly?
>
> - Alex

In "Options->Tools->Text Editor->D", there is a new sub page
"Intellisense" with new options, including "Expansions from semantics"
and "Show type of expression in tool tip". If you enable these, the
first is triggered when hitting Ctrl+Space to show completions at the
current insert position (most useful after a '.'), the latter will show
the type of identifiers or complete expressions (if selected) in a tool tip.

There is some type inference regarding auto and some code
interpretation, working on some complex stuff (classes, nested
functions) but also still failing on simple things like switch statements.

Evaluation is currently as lazy as possible, i.e. even parsing is
delayed until you request semantic information, but then cached for
later use. So please excuse the current initial delay, I will probably
move the parsing of imported files into a background thread.