A tutorial on D templates

Philippe Sigaud philippe.sigaud at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 13:20:18 PST 2012

[Cross-posted with D.learn, since it's also a learning-related post]

Hello all,

I discovered D a few years ago and, seeing the recent increase in community
projects, I looked for a way to bring my own small part to it.

I quite like D templates and wanted to try LaTeX again, so I decided to bite the
bullet and wrote a tutorial on templates. It's far from finished and most probably
full of mistakes but since it's already quite big, I need some inputs.

It's a Github project, here:

https://github.com/PhilippeSigaud/D-templates-tutorial

The resulting pdf is there:

https://github.com/PhilippeSigaud/D-templates-tutorial/blob/master/dtemplates.pdf

(click on View Raw)

If you have any comment, criticism, explanation, what have you, I'm game. What
section should be expanded, what example would be cool, etc. If you see a mistake,
do not hesitate to tell me: it's the first time I put thoughts on paper like this.
Github issues management is far from perfect, but it's usable. Even better would
be pull requests :)

There is an 'Examples' section where I show what can be done with templates and
there I 'borrowed' some code posted here, with attribution. I already exchanged
with Andrej Mitrovic (thanks!), but also took some code from Timon Gehr, Simen
Kjaeraas, Trass3r and Jacob Carlborg. Guys, if any of you have a problem with
that, tell me so and I'll take down the code of course. But if any of you could
give me some explanation (a small paragraph or two?) about what your code does,
I'll be forever grateful :)

This also extend to anyone who would want to share some template love/lore with
the rest of us.

Philippe