A tutorial on D templates

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Sat Jan 14 10:45:18 PST 2012

On 1/14/2012 7:05 AM, Jeff Nowakowski wrote:
> On 01/14/2012 03:16 AM, Walter Bright wrote:
>>
>> Minor stylistic nit pet peeve of mine: please remove the word "you" and
>> "your" from the prose.
>
> That sounds a bit strict, and looking at one of your articles I see it used in
> the second sentence: "A pure function does what you'd expect — the compiler
> enforces purity of the function."

What can I say? Ya got me there. I do tend to write "you", and remove them in a
later pass.

But let's take some examples from the first page of the text, and see if the
elidition looks better:

---------------------
giving you powerful compile-time code generation abilities that’ll make your
code cleaner, more flexible and even more e
cient.

=>

giving powerful compile-time code generation abilities that’ll make code
cleaner, more flexible and even more e
cient.
its material doesn’t so much teach you how to use templates as show you their
syntax and semantics.

=>

its material doesn’t so much teach how to use templates as show their syntax and
semantics.
the standard ‘building blocks’ you'll use in almost all your templates,

=>

the standard ‘building blocks’ used in almost all templates,