update.sh

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Sun Jan 15 23:57:24 PST 2012

On 1/16/12 1:18 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2012-01-16 06:20, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> "Andrei Alexandrescu"<SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org> wrote in message
>> news:jevr6q$8vp$1 at digitalmars.com...
>>> I just added a handy script, tools/update.sh.
>>>
>>> https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/tools/commit/cc4e3c07c2ebb19dbb90c2d29c828f5fb714e605
>>>

>>> It's useful for people who work on dmd and want to either download
>>> anew or
>>> freshen their repositories.
>>>
>>> Comments and ideas are welcome.
>>>

>> Soo...you made a tool to do what DVM already does? ;)
>
> And only works on Posix.

It's a simple 200 lines script that does something that someone working
on dmd etc. needs. I just looked over DVM (on
https://bitbucket.org/doob/dvm/wiki/Home). It's a large program, has a
large list of dependencies, is largely undocumented (I'm unclear even to
what extent it does what I need), it seems to do a ton of stuff I don't
need, and there's no way it could be justified for inclusion in tools/.
It's great that DVM exists for people who need it, but I don't see a
competition between it and update.sh.

Andrei