update.sh

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Mon Jan 16 09:08:06 PST 2012

On 1/16/12 5:46 AM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> I don't mean to say that your tool is bad or that you shouldn't have made
>> it, but the issues you addressed with DVM can be fixed, and really, I've
>> been detecting a bit of NIH coming from your general direction. I've
>> noticed that any time you want something, you go off and do it yourself,
>> and to hell with any part of the community that's been working on anything
>> similar. If you see a problem with the existing options, at the very least
>> you could say something instead of ignoring it and going cowboy-coder,
>> running off undermining anything that doesn't have the official
>> "Championed by Andrei" stamp.
>>

> I apologize for the tone, I overreacted. I'm sure you weren't trying to
> undermine anyone or anything, just posting a potentially helpful tool, like
> we all try to do. I do think it would be nice for you to give feedback if
> there's any D tools/libs that are similar to what you want but don't quite
> fit the bill for one reason or another. But I understand if it wasn't clear
> that DVM was trying to move in that direction.

As always, constructive feedback is welcome.

In this case I don't see a reason to read much into it. The script
simply puts together the actions that someone working on dmd need to do
needs to type on a regular basis, and parallelizes the slowest parts of
it. It's not a "tool" and not pretending to be one - it's a very
specific collection of actions. Quite a textbook example of the
usefulness of Unix scripting.

I wasn't enumerating "issues" that need to be "fixed" with DVM - merely
mentioning simple reasons that make DVM and update.sh different enough
to not compete.

Andrei