Server-Side magazine interview, touches on D

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Mon Jan 30 15:24:43 PST 2012

"Bill Baxter" <wbaxter at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.202.1327961928.25230.digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com...

>> > I believe that learning how to learn better is probably the most
>> important
>> > thing to learn at the University.
>>
>> Bullshit, bullshit, bullshit. All you need to learn how to learn is a
>> library, not a $100k debt payable to useless pompous windbags. The
>> biggest
>> thing colleges teach is that their existence is actually needed for
>> anything. And even *that* much is pure grade-A bullcrap.
>>
>> Yea, you *can* learn such things at college: just like how I can sell you
>> $5k device to help you convert ice into water.
>>

> Libraries don't give you deadlines (except for when to return your books)

Having deadlines doesn't need to cost $100k.

> or feedback on how well you are doing.

If you're relying on the tests to tell you how well you're doing, then
you've already failed.

*You* are by far the best person to know whether *you* understand something
or not. A school's evaluation is *NOT* for the student's sake - it's purely
for the school's/teacher's own accountability. It's inherently innacurate,
but needed anyway simply because they can't read your mind for an "I
understand" or "I don't get it" - but you *can* read your own mind, so for
the student, test results are extra time, extra money and *less* accurate,
all for no benefit.