DStep - Bindings Generator 0.0.1

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Sat Jul 7 14:20:24 PDT 2012

On 7/7/2012 7:47 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> DStep is a tool for translating C and Objective-C headers to D modules. It uses
> libclang for lexing/parsing and AST traversal. This means it handles everything
> that Clang itself can handle, although this doesn't mean it will correctly
> translate everything.
>
> I would consider this release alpha or beta. I'm releasing this now in hope I
> get some feedback on what language features the tool can't handle.

I think this is potentially a big deal.

If it can be made complete enough, I'd like to add support into D for it, so you
could do things like:

     import "stdio.h";

and the D compile would fork/exec Dstep, generate the corresponding .d file, and
import the .d file.

Some issues:

1. Passing macro definitions to Dstep

2. The name "Dstep" has no obvious relationship to what it does.

3. The -o flag is not necessary. Just "do the right thing" when you see the
filename extension.

In fact, we could make it a general facility, where if D sees:

     import "filename.ext";

that it fork/exec's the program:

     ext_to_D filename.ext tmpfile.d

and them imports tmpfile.d.