DStep - Bindings Generator 0.0.1

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Sun Jul 8 13:01:07 PDT 2012

On 2012-07-08 20:42, Walter Bright wrote:

> I think that implicitly using the feature will depend on those programs
> being available. It also means that any 3rd party can supply such a
> feature, to import a file in any format.

I see.

> I think there are many advantages to DStep being a separate program, not
> the least of which is debugging the output of it. Also, it means DStep
> could be written in any language. For example, suppose a Go-to-D is
> proposed. Go provides a Go library to parse Go code - so such a tool
> might be more easily written in Go than in D.

DStep is both usable as a program and a library. Both I guess you have a
point. On the other hand, C can be used to glue together libraries
written in different languages.

> Since OC is a proper superset of C, this shouldn't be a problem. Just
> run the OC converter as your "C" compiler.

That is not completely true if one is picky. The following code is legal
C, but not legal Objective-C :

int id;
int nil;

In Objective-C "id" is a type.

> The name makes more sense now, but for marketing reasons it should give
> more of a clue as to what it does.

Do you have a suggestion?

--
/Jacob Carlborg