DStep - Bindings Generator 0.0.1

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Sun Jul 8 23:30:38 PDT 2012

On 2012-07-08 23:22, Jonathan Andrew wrote:

> Jacob,

> The only disadvantage to the single-file limitation is that in the case
> of GTK at least, it has preprocessor directives to keep you from just
> #include-ing the single file you want to convert, so I just used sed to
> strip out all the #error directives that come up and force it to do my
> bidding. I understand DStep doesn't deal with preprocessor yet, but as
> far as the CLang front-end it uses goes, it might be helpful to find a
> way to turn off #error-s.

I had no idea about that.

> sed -i 's/#error/\/\//g' *.h
>
> The next step was to rename all the D reserved words that GTK used as
> function arguments - in, out, function, and align are the only ones I
> can think of off the top of my head. Easy fix for the user (by no means
> am I complaining), but if you want to streamline the conversion,
> automatically renaming these kinds of arguments might be a helpful option.

I thought the tool did that already.

> Then, renaming all the duplicate empty struct{} entries in some of the
> files. You already know about this, but it was probably the most
> time-consuming part of the process for converting GTK, at least. I
> couldn't think of an easy way to automate this on my end, because some
> of the empty structs were necessary to get it to compile.

I thought I had fixed this too. I'll have to take a look.

> Finally, putting import statements in all the .d files after I was done.
> Still a long way to go on this (500 files).
>
> Sorry for the long post, this is probably obvious stuff to everybody
> else, but I was really impressed with DStep - thank you for creating it!

No it's good, this is just what I wanted people to do. It would be great
if you could report these issues:

https://github.com/jacob-carlborg/dstep/issues

If you have a simple test case or a header I can try that would be great.

--
/Jacob Carlborg