Coming Soon: Stable D Releases!

Iain Buclaw ibuclaw at ubuntu.com
Mon Jul 16 10:26:31 PDT 2012

On Monday, 16 July 2012 at 16:39:45 UTC, Marco Leise wrote:
> Am Mon, 16 Jul 2012 17:21:39 +0100
> schrieb Iain Buclaw <ibuclaw at ubuntu.com>:
>
>> On 16 July 2012 14:00, Marco Leise <Marco.Leise at gmx.de> wrote:
>> > Am Mon, 16 Jul 2012 00:51:16 -0700
>> > schrieb "Adam Wilson" <flyboynw at gmail.com>:
>> >
>> > As it shows, the beta phase doesn't always catch all
>> > regressions in people's code, so I encourage you to do this
>> > project and eventually it will be used by GDC and other
>> > major from-source projects. By the way: Should this also
>> > later become the base for the official zip file download?
>> > IIRC Walter wanted to keep track of the DMD downloads from
>> > the main web site (no redistribution) and hotfixed versions
>> > of D could become increasingly popular.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Marco
>> >

>> And what benefits would GDC get from opting to use this rather
>> than
>> the normal releases?
>
> What he said, [regression] fixes that didn't make it into the
> initial release. I don't know about GDC's 'patch level', but
> for 2.059 I applied patches for the following issues after
> release, to have it feel as solid as good old 2.058:
> - issue-7907
> - issue-7911
> - issue-7922
> - outOfMemoryError-undeprecation
> - std-path-sep-deprecation
>
> In case crypto algorithms become part of Phobos, some patches
> may improve security as well. Didn't you say you work only with
> the GitHub release tags for stability?

So if I were to represent a theoretical merge sequence in ascii:

            ... former releases ...
    DMD Development             GDC Development
         >---- DMD 2.060 release ---->
         |                           |
     DMD Development         DMD 2.060.1 release
         v                           v
         |                           |
         |                   DMD 2.060.2 release
         |                           |
         |                   DMD 2.060.3 release
         |                           |
     DMD 2.061 beta          DMD 2.060.4 release
         v                           v
         |                           |
     DMD 2.061 RC            DMD 2.060.5 release
         v                           v
         >-- DMD 2.061 release ------>

Would this be a correct way of utilising this new process?

I use Github release tags so I get the correct test suite for the
release I'm merging in.  Other than that the only other special
information you need to know is that I use meld to sync the
frontend and library sources together.

Regards
Iain