Coming Soon: Stable D Releases!

Adam Wilson flyboynw at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 10:31:41 PDT 2012

On Mon, 16 Jul 2012 09:21:39 -0700, Iain Buclaw <ibuclaw at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> On 16 July 2012 14:00, Marco Leise <Marco.Leise at gmx.de> wrote:
>> Am Mon, 16 Jul 2012 00:51:16 -0700
>> schrieb "Adam Wilson" <flyboynw at gmail.com>:
>>
>> As it shows, the beta phase doesn't always catch all regressions in
>> people's code, so I encourage you to do this project and eventually it
>> will be used by GDC and other major from-source projects. By the way:
>> Should this also later become the base for the official zip file
>> download? IIRC Walter wanted to keep track of the DMD downloads from
>> the main web site (no redistribution) and hotfixed versions of D could
>> become increasingly popular.
>>
>> --
>> Marco
>>

> And what benefits would GDC get from opting to use this rather than
> the normal releases?

The main benefit I could see is the faster cycle focusing on bugs. I don't
know what GCC's release cycle is (something tells me it's pretty glacial),
but for any users of your Git-HEAD code, the bug fixes could certainly
appear faster.

The drawback is that new features may not appear as quickly because we
will want them to stabilize before we roll them in.

As to whether or not you use it, that's up to you. Our goal with this
experiment is to build highly reliable (stable) releases on a quicker
cycle so that we can fix bugs faster. If you think GDC could benefit from
that, you are welcome to base GDC off these packages.

--
Adam Wilson
IRC: LightBender