Coming Soon: Stable D Releases!

Adam Wilson flyboynw at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 11:23:58 PDT 2012

On Mon, 16 Jul 2012 11:18:55 -0700, Caligo <iteronvexor at gmail.com> wrote:

> What?!
>
> All he has to do is create a branch and call it stable, or whatever,
> and use cherry-pick to move small stables patches from other branches
> to the stable branch.  What's so difficult about that?  I don't get
> it.
>

> On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 1:03 PM, Adam Wilson <flyboynw at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, 16 Jul 2012 10:51:59 -0700, Caligo <iteronvexor at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Good thing that this is an experiment because creating a new
>>> organization just for something like this is a stupid idea.  Is it so
>>> difficult to create branches and use the features that git provides?!?
>>

>> Walter was very uneasy about opening up the primary DMD repo in that
>> manner.
>> Maybe if this experiment proves successful he will be more open to
>> allowing
>> the work to take place in the primary repo? Let's make this project
>> successful and show Walter the true power of Git!
>>

>> --
>> Adam Wilson
>> IRC: LightBender
>> Project Coordinator
>> The Horizon Project
>> http://www.thehorizonproject.org/

He already works on D full-time, this would only slow him down. The other
option is to open the repos to even more people with master push rights,
and it was a months-long struggle to convince him to let Kenji, Brad, and
Don push. Imagine the effort it will take to convince him to let someone
else in with push rights?

This is a step in the process. Should it prove successful we can reopen
the organizational discussion, but first, let's just make it work.