Coming Soon: Stable D Releases!

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Mon Jul 16 11:29:03 PDT 2012

On Monday, July 16, 2012 13:18:55 Caligo wrote:
> What?!
>
> All he has to do is create a branch and call it stable, or whatever,
> and use cherry-pick to move small stables patches from other branches
> to the stable branch. What's so difficult about that? I don't get
> it.

It takes up his time for him to do it, and I don't think that there's any
chance whatsoever of him giving someone else commit access to the main dmd
repository to do this (certainly not at this point). He wasn't interested in
changing the versioning or branching stuff at all. He agreed to this plan
(which should be minimally disruptive to him) as an experiment. Depending on
how it goes, we may change how we deal with the main repo, but for now, we're
trying this. And since the likely alternative was that we would continue on
exactly as we have been, this is presumably an improvement for the folks who
wanted a branch with bug fixes with more frequent releases.

- Jonathan M Davis