Coming Soon: Stable D Releases!

Leandro Lucarella luca at llucax.com.ar
Sat Jul 21 07:39:45 PDT 2012

Andrei Alexandrescu, el 16 de July a las 12:41 me escribiste:
> On 7/16/12 3:51 AM, Adam Wilson wrote:
> >As a result of the D Versioning thread, we have decided to create a new
> >organization on Github called dlang-stable. This organization will be
> >responsible for maintaining stable releases of DMD, DRuntime, and Phobos.
> [snip]
> >Thank you for reading and I hope you enjoy D's new Stable releases!
>
> This is a wonderful initiative that I hope will catch on.
>
> Walter and I are fully behind this experiment. We will make/accept
> changes to the download pages to take into account this new branch.
>
> The main threat I see is bugfixes that depend on code previously
> introduced with now features. I'm not sure how frequent that
> situation is.
>
> Finally, one suggestion: I suggest you relentlessly work to automate
> the process to the point where you issue e.g. the command
>
> ./merge 534d44c979 70dcb958ea
>
> and the script merges in the two specified commits, builds
> everything, runs the test suite, runs the Phobos unittests, and if
> all worked, builds packages and uploads them making them available
> right away.

If he is just going to cherry pick patches, then that can be all
automated using git directly, using a commit hook to test the commit
(and reject it if it fails). Something that everybody should have if
running the test suite weren't so slow :P

What you can do is have a git repository in the test suite server, and
plug git to the autotester, and make it only succeed if the autotester
result was good, the resulting repository will NEVER have a non-working
DMD. This way the testing is asynchronous, so it doesn't bother the
developer, but you also make sure the "good" public repository is always
healthy, something that is not happening now because is the other way
around. Walter first pushes changes to the "good" public repository and
the autotester runs after the commits are published, so there is no way
to undo the commits and fix them privately.