Coming Soon: Stable D Releases!

Adam Wilson flyboynw at gmail.com
Sun Jul 22 16:05:04 PDT 2012

On Sun, 22 Jul 2012 11:59:39 -0700, Leandro Lucarella <luca at llucax.com.ar>
wrote:

> Adam Wilson, el 21 de July a las 15:03 me escribiste:
>> >Mmm, this makes me wonder if the stable releases based on a particular
>> >official release will live only until the next official release is out,
>> >or if they will be long-term. I thought it was the later, so people
>> >don't have to worry about bugs related to new features they don't care
>> >about, but now I'm not so sure.
>>
>> Actually, I specifically mention that new features will left out
>> until stability is achieved. But at some point we will fold in the
>> new features from HEAD, our goal is to specifically AVOID creating a
>> D1/D2 style split.
>
> Yes, of course, but these updates will not be done for each and every
> official DMD release, they will be done in a timespan in the order of
> years for example? I.e. like any other serious language out there? :P
>
> --
> Leandro Lucarella (AKA luca)                     http://llucax.com.ar/
> GPG Key: 5F5A8D05 (F8CD F9A7 BF00 5431 4145  104C 949E BFB6 5F5A 8D05)
> The biggest lie you can tell yourself is
> When I get what I want I will be happy

I can't really say, but it sounds like what you are asking for is D2/D3,
thats not really the scope of the dlang-stable project, we just want
builds of D2 that do not include new features until the community feels
that those features are stable enough. Which means we will periodically
roll in the new features, probably on the order of months, which pretty
typical for 2.x type releases.

If Walter does eventually decide on a D3, then we will probably maintain a
separate D2 maintenance branch for a while, like all the other big
compilers, but that's years on down the road.

--
Adam Wilson
IRC: LightBender