Coming Soon: Stable D Releases!

Adam Wilson flyboynw at gmail.com
Sun Jul 22 23:37:59 PDT 2012

On Mon, 16 Jul 2012 13:05:29 -0700, Brad Anderson <eco at gnuk.net> wrote:

> On Monday, 16 July 2012 at 19:35:47 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> [snip]
>>
>> I agree this would be more direct. But I fail to see how Walter
>> cherry-picking stuff is "basically no additional work", whereas Adam
>> doing essentially the same is an unenviable "amount of labor".
>>

> He wouldn't be cherry-picking anything. All he'd have to do is a
> checkout (one command) before switching between working on features (and
> by features I mean breaking or major changes) or bugs. Adam, on the
> other hand, would be running git cherry-pick over and over dodging
> changes he determines are too risky to include in stable. It also seems
> like there is a lot more room for mistakes to be made doing it this way.

There certainly is more room for mistakes, which is why I think that a
team-based approach is better. I've also finished putting together some
scripts to automate the various processes. I think that the merge script
can especially take a lot of the work and time out of the equation. With a
single call we can merge as many commits as we feel comfortable with,
build them, run unittests and push the changes to the server. At this
point i'll probably spend more time deciding which commits are safe to
pick than I will actually merging them. At least until I hit a decent
merge conflict. But hey, everything helps! :-)

Scripts are available here: https://github.com/dlang-stable/utilities

--
Adam Wilson
IRC: LightBender