Coming Soon: Stable D Releases!

Adam Wilson flyboynw at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 11:07:13 PDT 2012

On Mon, 23 Jul 2012 01:52:57 -0700, Leandro Lucarella <luca at llucax.com.ar>
wrote:

> Adam Wilson, el 22 de July a las 16:05 me escribiste:
>> I can't really say, but it sounds like what you are asking for is
>> D2/D3, thats not really the scope of the dlang-stable project, we
>
> Nope! What I'm talking about is D 2.1, 2.2, etc. Not D3. As somebody
> said before in this thread talking about PHP, minor version changes in
> the languages should only introduce backward compatible new features. D3
> should be allowed to break backward compatibility while D 2.1 should
> not. The same is done in Python. In Python is even allowed to break
> backward compatibility in very small and are cases, like introducing
> a keyword. In those cases the changes are introduced in steps, let's say
> in Python 2.5 with is not a keyword and they want to convert it to
> a keyword. Then in Python 2.6 you have an option to enable that
> behaviour (disabled by default) and in Python 2.7 the new feature will
> be enabled by default. Python 2.5.1 can only introduce bugfixes.

Minor release ARE what we are hoping for, but you'll have to convince
Walter and company to move to that scheme, it's out of my control. For the
moment, we will be using a scheme that looks like 2.60.1. Which may be
what you are talking about. When it's time to roll in the new features and
breaking fixes the stable release will be bumped to 2.61.1. Is this what
you are asking for?

--
Adam Wilson
IRC: LightBender