D Conference 2012 - postponed until 2013

Michael Kerrisk mtk at man7.org
Tue Jul 24 01:04:47 PDT 2012

On Tuesday, 26 June 2012 at 18:12:03 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 6/26/2012 8:41 AM, Jonathan M Davis wrote:

>>> Seattle is too damn far... :(
>>
>> Well, no matter where you pick, it's too far for someone.
>
> The Astoria location enables us to keep the registration costs
> low, without compromising. It's a great location.

Walter,

I've never been there, but from your word I've no doubt that the
Astoria is a nice venue.

However, for anyone outside the continental US, this location
makes the statement that "we're not terribly interested in having
you attend": we'll make you take at least two flights (not so
many international connections to Portland) or even three (if you
don't live near a major air hub in your own country), and then
hire a car (there go the savings you got with the cheap
registration cost) to drive for 2+ hours after you get off your
international flight. Even from a hub location in Europe, this
will typically mean 15 or more hours between the airports, plus
an unfamiliar drive through Oregon. That's quite a demand on
attendees.

Astoria is a niche location. If you want to broaden your
audience, I think a more mainstream location would generate more
interest internationally, and perhaps even domestically. For
example, even just Portland itself, but perhaps better--and I
know it's unoriginal--Silicon Valley or US East Coast.

Thanks,

Michael

PS Is there an announce mailing list where one can sign up to get
information about the 2013 conference?