Coming Soon: Stable D Releases!

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Wed Jul 25 05:32:49 PDT 2012

On 2012-07-25 09:43, Don Clugston wrote:

> We don't need this complexity. The solution is *trivial*. We just need
> to decide in advance that we will target a release every X weeks, and
> that it should be delayed only for reasons of stability.

Yeah, but what happens when Walter or someone else decides to start a
big project, i.e. implementing COFF support, a week before release? We
end up with a bunch of half finished things.

A solution to this would be to create a new branch or not push the
changes upstream. Although I don't understand why Walter doesn't already
do this.

> An agreement is ALL that is required. But despite repeated requests, I
> have never been able to get any traction on the idea.
> Instead, people propose all kinds of crazy technical solutions, the most
> recent ones being changes to bugzilla, trello, and now dlang-stable.
>
> If we say, "There will be a new compiler release every 8 weeks", the
> problem is solved. Seriously. That one-off agreement is ALL that is
> required.

Apparently it seems very difficult to agree upon, since it hasn't
happened. The releases just pop up at random.

--
/Jacob Carlborg