Tiny Redis- a Redis driver for D

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Fri Jul 27 01:59:22 PDT 2012

On Thu, 2012-07-26 at 16:39 -0400, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> On 7/26/12 4:29 PM, Adil wrote:
> > Announcing Tiny Redis.
> >
> > Tiny Redis is a Redis driver for the D programming language (v2). The
> > api is minimalist and makes working with Redis trivial.
> [snip]
>
> Awesome! On reddit:
>
> http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/x7js2/tiny_redis_a_redis_driver_for_the_d_programming/

OK, but does this actually achieve anything to aid uptake of D? If D is
to get traction, there should be a maintained page of validated
libraries and frameworks.

When people want to know things about a language they use Google and
want links to pages other than things like GMane or Reddit. Actually put
"dlang tiny redis" into Google and there is no mention of Reddit.  OK so
the first link is to this exchange in the forum (which is good), but the
second link (for me when I did it, but as we know Google do an awful lot
of anti-SEO) is to the Go libraries pages:
http://go-lang.cat-v.org/pure-go-libs

This page is not really the right one for Go these days,
http://godashboard.appspot.com/project is. The beauty of all this is I
can do, for example:

go get github.com/mattn/go-gtk/gtk

and now I have access to the Go GTK API.

        package main

        import "github.com/mattn/go-gtk/gtk"

        func main ( ) {
        	gtk.Init ( nil )
        	window := gtk.Window ( gtk.GTK_WINDOW_TOPLEVEL )
        	window.SetTitle ( "Hello World." )
        	window.Connect ( "destroy" , func ( w *gtk.GtkWidget , userData string ) { gtk.MainQuit ( ) } , "Dummy string." )
        	window.Add ( gtk.Label ( "Hello World." ) )
        	window.ShowAll ( )
        	gtk.Main ( )
        }

I wonder if having one person working on a package management system for
D as a side-project is a missed opportunity for D. Putting more effort
and resource into this aspect of D is probably far more constructive to
traction than tinkering with the language, the compiler and
optimization.

I appreciate that GTK is actually something of a minority thing, but it
stands as a great example of how Go has a core and a supported way of
dealing with contributed extras. D has a core (Phobos) and a collection
of emails and posts on forums.

I know actions speak louder than words but for the moment all my actions
have to be with Python and Groovy in order to create income. If I could
create income from D, I'd be doing less waffling here about D and more
acting.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk