Tiny Redis- a Redis driver for D

Sönke Ludwig sludwig at outerproduct.org
Fri Jul 27 06:58:50 PDT 2012

Am 27.07.2012 10:59, schrieb Russel Winder:
> I wonder if having one person working on a package management system for
> D as a side-project is a missed opportunity for D. Putting more effort
> and resource into this aspect of D is probably far more constructive to
> traction than tinkering with the language, the compiler and
> optimization.
>
> I appreciate that GTK is actually something of a minority thing, but it
> stands as a great example of how Go has a core and a supported way of
> dealing with contributed extras. D has a core (Phobos) and a collection
> of emails and posts on forums.
>
> I know actions speak louder than words but for the moment all my actions
> have to be with Python and Groovy in order to create income. If I could
> create income from D, I'd be doing less waffling here about D and more
> acting.

I fully agree! For vibe.d [which btw. also has a redis driver ;)] I made
a simple package manager using github repositories as the source.
However, if there would have been a 'standard' package manager, I
wouldn't even have thought about writing my own.

But to attract people who want to get something going fast, IMO it's
vital to have an easy to use package management system. Of course, if
you are C++ or something, you don't really need to attract those people...