Attractive Chaos' blog entry: Timeline of the D programming

Marco Leise Marco.Leise at gmx.de
Fri Mar 2 13:44:09 PST 2012

Am 29.02.2012, 02:58 Uhr, schrieb bearophile <bearophileHUGS at lycos.com>:

> Jonathan M Davis:
>
>> There's plenty still in Phobos that needs to be reworked before it approaches
>> any kind of real frozen state (e.g. std.xml and std.stream), but we _do_ need
>> to evolve Phobos to the point that breaking changes are rare.
>
> The problem is not just Phobos, but D itself, that needs some fixes.
>
> Regarding Phobos, there are Phobos modules that contain many good insights, ideas, and some design gems. But you can't release similar large things in one go, and then assume their API is frozen. I think the development style of Phobos has to change. I like the suggestion of putting modules into an experimental package, and to keep them there for some months, let users use them and find suboptimal parts, to avoid freezing what's unbaked still :-)
>
> Bye,
> bearophile

These threads get repetitive :) I mention OpenGL again, which has a review board and extensions. Add ext.collections and at a later point review it, improve it and move it to std.collections... kind of. Orange, xmlp, Windows bindings, dcollections and similar could have been in the releases earlier with the users knowing that they are subject to change. I hope for better feedback to the developers of such extensions as well, when there is a greater exposure to other programmers.