parallel copy directory, faster than robocopy

Jay Norwood jayn at prismnet.com
Mon Mar 5 16:29:00 PST 2012

So here is the output of a batch file I just ran on the ssd drive
for the 1.5GB copy.  Robocopy displays that it took around 14
secs, while the release build of the D commandline cpd utility
took around 12 secs.  That's a pretty consistent result on the
ssd drive, which are more sensitive to cpu pr.

06:12 PM

H:\xx8>robocopy /E /NDL /NFL /NC /NS /MT:8 xx8c xx8ca

    ROBOCOPY     ::     Robust File Copy for Windows

   Started : Mon Mar 05 18:12:33 2012

    Source : H:\xx8\xx8c\
      Dest : H:\xx8\xx8ca\

     Files : *.*

   Options : *.* /NS /NC /NDL /NFL /S /E /COPY:DAT /MT:8
/R:1000000 /W:30

100%

                Total    Copied   Skipped  Mismatch    FAILED
Extras
     Dirs :      2627      2626         1         0         0
    0
    Files :     36969     36969         0         0         0
    0
    0
    Times :   0:02:05   0:00:12                       0:00:00
0:00:01

    Ended : Mon Mar 05 18:12:47 2012

H:\xx8>time /T
06:12 PM

H:\xx8>rmd xx8ca\*
removing: xx8ca\Cross_Tools
removing: xx8ca\eclipse
removing: xx8ca\gnu
removing: xx8ca\PA
finished! time:17889 ms

H:\xx8>time /T
06:13 PM

H:\xx8>cpd xx8c\* xx8ca
copying: xx8c\Cross_Tools
copying: xx8c\eclipse
copying: xx8c\gnu
copying: xx8c\PA
finished! time: 11681 ms

H:\xx8>time /T
06:13 PM

btw, I just ran robocopy with /mt:1, and it took around 42
seconds on the same drive, which is about what I see with the
standard windows copy, including the gui copy.  So, at least for
these ssd drives the parallel processing results in worthwhile
speed-ups.

Started : Mon Mar 05 18:24:31 2012
Ended : Mon Mar 05 18:25:13 2012