D port of dmd: Lexer, Parser, AND CodeGenerator fully operational

Zach the Mystic reachMINUSTHISzachgmail at dot.com
Wed Mar 7 23:45:13 PST 2012

On Thursday, 8 March 2012 at 07:21:19 UTC, Zach the Mystic wrote:
> On Thursday, 8 March 2012 at 04:56:07 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
> wrote:
>> If you took it from ddmd, then it's definitely going to have
>> to be GPL.
>>
>> Now, there is interest in having a D parser and lexer in
>> Phobos. I don't know
>> if your version will fit the bill (e.g. it must have a
>> range-based API), but we
>> need one at some point. The original idea was to more or less
>> directly port
>> dmd's lexer and parser with some adjustments to the API as
>> necessary
>> (primarily to make it range-based). But no one has had the
>> time to complete
>> such a project yet (I originally volunteered to do it, but I
>> just haven't had
>> the time).

I have another question. The parser need to parse the tokens into
some kind of objects, which I presume will be the current dmd
object structure? Many of the class members are only of value to
semantic and can be cut. But as much value as a parser is, you
need just as much work designing the structures of the objects it
creates, which is mostly done, by the way, it's just I'm not sure
what exactly you're trying to put into phobos.