D port of dmd: Lexer, Parser, AND CodeGenerator fully operational

Dmitry Olshansky dmitry.olsh at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 23:53:51 PST 2012

On 09.03.2012 1:12, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> On Friday, March 09, 2012 00:54:48 Dmitry Olshansky wrote:

>>> ??? The normal way to handle this is to simply special-case certain
>>> operations. e.g.
>>>
>>> static if(Unqual!(isElementEncodingType!R) == char)
>>> { ... }
>>
>> Does isElementEncodingType aware of anything other then string/wstring?
>
> No. It uses isNarrowString. So, what you'd end up doing is having the lexer
> accept a generic range of dchar and then have specializations where
> appropriate for narrow strings. Nothing in Phobos' string handling really
> supports the idea of dealing with generic char or wchar ranges. It all
> processes ranges of dchar and specializes on narrow strings where appropriate.

The concept that *only* strings need special casing is broken. I recall
somebody already stomped on this: i.e. any range that returns char (a
wrapper range, over say memory-mapped file) passes by all the intricate
special casing that does decoding of std.algorithm and friends. So to
put it simply there is no way to tap into this *decoding by default*
infrastructure.

> But is there really a use case for a generic range of char or wchar? I don't
> know. In general, I really don't think that there is.

Memory mapped file wrapper is one, it's just from the top of my head.
There could be plenty of them, one needs just to look. 'I don't
  know' is not a solid argument, sorry.

When dealing with ranges
> of characters, they're essentially always either strings or strings which have
> been wrapped in other ranges (generally by calling some other range-based
> function such as take or filter). And those range-based functions pretty much
> inevitably need to treat the strings as ranges of dchar to do what they do
> (potentially with specific optimizations for strings). They aren't designed to
> operate on ranges of char or wchar, and the only reason to make them do so
> would be if there were a use case where you needed a range of char or wchar
> which was not an array. But they're all either arrays or wrapped arrays. So,
> no such use case currently exists with Phobos, and I really question the
> usefulness of trying to optimize on a generic range of char or wchar -
> especially when many of the optimizations for arrays involve random access
> ranges, and if you have a random access range of char or wchar, I _really_
> question that it would ever be anything other than an array.

And that is problem, if you fail to see why we need to stop pretending
that all char/wchar ranges are arrays, then I failed somewhere. In the
same vane one would argue that there is no other random access range but
array, yet there is. For instance if we explore containers there could
be Tries, Dequeues  and whatnot of char/wchar with their respective ranges.

> So, I'd advise against trying to operate on ranges of char or wchar and just
> stick to operating on ranges of dchar with optimizations for narrow strings
> where appropriate.

Probably the fact that in lexer it's not 'some place for optimizations,
it's the whole thing' was missed. That's why I'm looking for more or
less generic yet efficient way.

>> Now, speaking outside of this specific problem.
>> Basically I would propose formalizing a kind of range that current
>> string/wstring is. And that is a VariableLengthEncoding range (VLE
>> range), a two in one - random access codeunit range and bidirectional
>> 'codepoint' range. I've heard of attempts on this concept before, but
>> now with a use case at hand it could be become more important.
>
> There has been some talk of VLE ranges but really only with regards to the
> fact that strings are a case of that. Nothing has been done to generalize it.
> It may be something that should be looked into, but until we've formalized
> that, I don't think that something like the lexer should be built around the
> idea. It would be safer to stick with what we've been doing - operating on
> ranges of dchar and special-casing for narrow strings where appropriate. If
> need be, it should be possible to adjust it to use VLEs later.
>
>> The problem is, I think, that current InputRange range is insufficent as
>> it requres to calculate length of first element twice: one time in front
>> and extra one in popFront.
>
> Perhaps an optional function should be added to input ranges which both
> returns and front and pops it. But VLE ranges such as narrow strings are
> probably the only ones which would really care, and we can already special
> case for strings, so it would probably only be of real value for general VLEs.

The goal is to make std.algorithm general when it comes to UTF-x ranges,
VLE range seems a best suited abstraction level so far. Other things
like base64 encoded stuff could be there, though it needs some thought.

> However, since VLEs would arguably be a new range type, they could just
> implement the new function, and anything which special-cases VLEs can take
> advantage of it, while they still work just fine as input ranges. We could even
> add a free function which both pops and returns front which uses front and
> popFront for most ranges and the new function for VLEs, so you can code with
> that free function in cases where you intend to both take front and pop it off
> without caring about what type of range you're dealing with and without
> forcing ranges in general to implement an extra function.
>
> There's definitely more work and designing to be done here, but there are
> definitely possibilities.
>
> Still, in the interim, I'd advise simply special casing on narrow strings in
> the lexer rather than trying to use VLEs initially.

Aye, and write 2 copies of lexer, yikes. I would just ignore *default*
array ranges for the moment and do whatever is convenient & fast. Then
convince people to provide proper abstraction.
The problem of *default* ranges is that they have to do extra work to
maintain their invariants, e.g. even array should adjust it's length.
Like OP mentioned popFront is --length, ++ptr; whereas ptr++ is all
required. So clearly a wrapper of array that doesn't need to adjust
length could be faster. A-la:
struct Wrapped(E){
private://not visible
	E[] arr;
	size_t idx;
public:
	@property auto front(){ arr[idx]; }
Or even 2 pointer (current+end) version.

--
Dmitry Olshansky