Adam Wilson is now a GSoC 2012 mentor!

Kapps opantm2+spam at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 13:11:25 PDT 2012

On Monday, 26 March 2012 at 19:43:56 UTC, Adam Wilson wrote:

> I think that the best thing that we can do right now is to
> focus on bringing the parser to completion. It's still missing
> some key features of D, especially in terms of code-completion
> and syntax highlighting. It's also missing UFCS from 2.058,
> which is a pretty big deal I think. For a full list of tasks
> that Alex would like to get done please see this list:
> https://github.com/aBothe/Mono-D/blob/master/MonoDevelop.DBinding/Remaining%20features.txt
>
> As to an IDE written in D, that's a HUGE project and well
> outside the scope of what can be accomplished in a GSoC
> project. It takes millions of lines of code to make a *DECENT*
> IDE. Not to mention that UI design is something that will
> always polarize the community, some basically want a glorified
> VIM/EMACS while other will settle for nothing less than a
> Visual Studio clone, still more people will want a radically
> different UI from anything previously seen (I personally am
> intrigued by Code-Bubbles for instance). Plus why bother with
> that when we can integrate into existing solutions like
> MonoDevelop or Visual Studio *much* quicker.
>
> I personally think that Mono-D represents the most capable path
> forward for D IDE's right now, maybe later that might change as
> D grows, but for the moment we need an complete IDE fast, and
> integration can deliver that.

And one of the very nice things about Mono-D is that the parser
is completely standalone. It would not be difficult to integrate
into Visual Studio in the future. Both are done in C#, and both
are somewhat similar to code for. Instead of making a D specific
IDE, we can just use a very nice plugin for both Visual Studio
and Mono-D, with being able to use the same code-base for the
logic.