Adam Wilson is now a GSoC 2012 mentor!

Adam Wilson flyboynw at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 11:05:54 PDT 2012

On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 09:38:33 -0700, Jacob Carlborg <doob at me.com> wrote:

> On 2012-03-27 00:00, Adam Wilson wrote:
>
>> Mono is over a million, Visual Studio is almost as much as the Windows
>> Kernel (5m+ IIRC), and Eclipse ... well I don't what they are doing
>> wrong over there but the bloat is epic.
>> In other words, a good IDE is a massively complicated beast.
>> Integrations are much quicker and we don't have to reinvent the wheel
>> all over the place.
>
> I agree that an writing an IDE will be a massive project. But it doesn't
> have to be as complicated as Eclipse or MonoDevelop. These support
> plugins to add support for new languages, Eclipse contains support for
> UML diagrams and similar things. Not something that is needed to make a
> fully usable D IDE.

To be a fully useable *D* IDE this is true, but that's not really an
Integrated Development Environment, its just Yet Another Specialized
Development Environment. I'd argue that the whole point of the
"Integrated" part of IDE is that everything you might possibly need to do
your job is one place specifically so you don't have to go hunt down that
other software package you only need every couple of months. And I'm not
saying that we shouldn't have an IDE written in D, just that it's not the
best path at the moment, and regardless of the purity folks "everything
must be written in D!" tirades, integrating D into MonoDevelop represents
the best way to get devs using D right now. Also, the D GUI situation
leaves a lot to be desired in terms of complex UI's like IDE's.

Besides, Mono-D has more pressing issues than a potential stand-alone IDE
... CTFE/mixin parsing anybody?

--
Adam Wilson
IRC: LightBender