Adam Wilson is now a GSoC 2012 mentor!

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Tue Mar 27 12:39:01 PDT 2012

On 2012-03-27 20:05, Adam Wilson wrote:

> To be a fully useable *D* IDE this is true, but that's not really an
> Integrated Development Environment, its just Yet Another Specialized
> Development Environment. I'd argue that the whole point of the
> "Integrated" part of IDE is that everything you might possibly need to
> do your job is one place specifically so you don't have to go hunt down
> that other software package you only need every couple of months. And
> I'm not saying that we shouldn't have an IDE written in D, just that
> it's not the best path at the moment, and regardless of the purity folks
> "everything must be written in D!" tirades, integrating D into
> MonoDevelop represents the best way to get devs using D right now. Also,
> the D GUI situation leaves a lot to be desired in terms of complex UI's
> like IDE's.
>
> Besides, Mono-D has more pressing issues than a potential stand-alone
> IDE ... CTFE/mixin parsing anybody?

I agree with you. If you want to use the same IDE for EVERYTHING than
that will take a lot more work. In that case I don't see much point in
reinventing the wheel when we have MonoDevelop and Eclipse. But I think
an IDE can be for one language and still be called IDE, although others
might call it a glorified text editor.

--
/Jacob Carlborg