UFCS for D

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Fri Mar 30 01:20:44 PDT 2012

On 3/30/2012 12:18 AM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> While there are definitely times I need to access private state across
> separate components within a module, I find such cases are fairly uncommon,
> so I question the wisdom of making it the default behavior.

If your module has grown so large that you need such encapsulation, meaning that
the "cognitive load" of understanding the module has exceeded one's grasp, then
I submit that the module needs to be broken up into multiple modules.

There has been a trend in Phobos of having some truly gigantic modules. I
believe this is indicative of a problem in the language. Andrei and I have
talked about it, and we think it is because of difficulties in breaking a module
up into submodules of a package.

We think it's something we need to address.