OT: video games (was Re: UFCS for D)

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 14:37:52 PDT 2012

On Friday, 30 March 2012 at 21:03:21 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> Problem is, it also corrodes the connectors.

Yea. But oh well, it can't be too bad... my old games
all still work!

Though, nowadays I tend to prefer the emulators. I have
a playstation controller on usb, which works for all
the old games naturally (there's a clear progression
from nes -> super nintendo -> playstation, each is a
superset of the next. It works well for Sega too.)

No hardware hassles, doesn't take space under the tv.
I used to have a real mess of crap in my bedroom, the
cords were hideous. Now most of that is on the computer.

The computer can also crank up the speed, which makes
some of those old games so much more playable! I can't
believe I used to sit there 10 hours a day and just
grind or use the slow moving characters.

(though now I can't do a video game for more than one
hour a week, between work, etc., and my eyes just get
horribly tired with the motion. But with emulator's
speed acceleration, that one hour can go a pretty long way!)

> I *liked* that the N64 used carts

I have only one game for the N64: Perfect Dark. Bought
the game when I saw it at one of the stores and picked
up the system like a month later.

Great game, still my favorite of the FPS genre.