UFCS for D

Piotr Szturmaj bncrbme at jadamspam.pl
Fri Mar 30 15:27:07 PDT 2012

Walter Bright wrote:
> On 3/30/2012 4:24 AM, Piotr Szturmaj wrote:
>> Walter Bright wrote:
>>> I think it's far superior to the explicit friend thing in C++.
>> Just curious. Did you take it from Delphi? :-)
>
> No. I've never looked at Delphi in detail.
>
> But in any case, for any language feature, there's always another
> language that had done it before, or something like it, or something
> that if you stand on one leg and touch your nose it resembles it, or
> whatever.
>
> It's also true that good ideas tend to be reinvented over and over.

Yes, I agree.

> There have been many module systems before Delphi, too. I even have dim
> memories of reading about modules in the 1980 Ada spec :-)

Actually, I meant allowing access to private fields within the same
module. It really helped me to avoid writing boilerplate code for these
fields. And I'm thinking about lots of correlated classes.

I asked because Delphi and D are the only ones I know that make friend
classes implicit :-)