video games (was Re: UFCS for D)

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Fri Mar 30 15:45:22 PDT 2012

"Adam D. Ruppe" <destructionator at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:ftnddrqdfbrtxiiwehaa at forum.dlang.org...
> On Friday, 30 March 2012 at 21:03:21 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> Problem is, it also corrodes the connectors.
>
> Yea. But oh well, it can't be too bad... my old games
> all still work!
>
> Though, nowadays I tend to prefer the emulators.

Oh *definitely*. BTW, Wii homebrew is *fantastic* for that. It literally
turns the Wii into a (very good) set-top multi-emulator device. And many of
the Wii-hosted homebrew emulators are *very* good now. *FAR* better than the
half-assed Virtual Console stuff.

> I have
> a playstation controller on usb, which works for all
> the old games naturally (there's a clear progression
> from nes -> super nintendo -> playstation, each is a
> superset of the next. It works well for Sega too.)

Yea. This gets into one thing I *love* about China's unwillingless to play
by the US rules: Thanks to Hong Kong, I have an inexpensive device that lets
me use a PS2 controller on PC *AND* GameCube *AND* XBox1 (And on Wii, for
the few games that are actually intelligent nough to allow GC controllers as
an alternative to the piece of crap "Classic Controller"). I love this
thing. But that would *never* happen under US-style IP law. Playing by US
rules, you're not allowed to have the *basic consumer choice* of using
whatever the fuck controller you want with whatever the fuck system you
want. China *allows* such consumer choice. Yup: China being *more* free than
the corporate-owned US. Go figure.

> No hardware hassles, doesn't take space under the tv.
> I used to have a real mess of crap in my bedroom, the
> cords were hideous. Now most of that is on the computer.

Eeewww, I hate playing games on a PC:

- Too many other processes to screw up the experience.

- I spent sooo many hours every day *working* at the computer desk, I
*don't* want to be be glued to it for my entertainment, too.

- Even if I didn't use a PC for work, for my entertainment, I'd still much
rather use a nice comfortable living room couch/TV/environment than a
computer desk anyway.

- Plus the non-indie commercial games come with rootkits and the requirement
of buying new hardware twice a year. No thanks.

> The computer can also crank up the speed, which makes
> some of those old games so much more playable! I can't
> believe I used to sit there 10 hours a day and just
> grind or use the slow moving characters.

Some of the Wii-hosted homebrew emulators will do that too :)  I doubt I
would have ever gotten all the way through Chrono Trigger if it weren't for
that feature.

>> I *liked* that the N64 used carts
>
> I have only one game for the N64: Perfect Dark. Bought
> the game when I saw it at one of the stores and picked
> up the system like a month later.
>
> Great game, still my favorite of the FPS genre.

Yea, this is a pretty good one. Another one of my favs in Conker's Bad Fur
Day. You play a cute little furry squirrel, and then you do things like get
drunk so you can kill flame-based enemies by staggering around and pissing
on them :) Fantastically "wrong" and great gameplay. It's a Rare game from
back when Rare was actually still good. Actually paid $80 for that fucking
game, but never regretted it.