video games (was Re: UFCS for D)

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Fri Mar 30 21:34:29 PDT 2012

"Bernard Helyer" <b.helyer at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:jiioyfihtaqhpjafgmxr at forum.dlang.org...
>> Eeewww, I hate playing games on a PC:
>>
>> - Too many other processes to screw up the experience.
>
> Maybe if you were basing your experiences off of Windows 95.

Actually, it was pretty good back then, I'm thinking more the past 10 years.
There's too much background crap that's always running now, not to mention
programs completely hoarding as many resoruces and CPU power as the possibly
can. Back with 95/98, there were what, three basic processes that were
always running? I used to even have them memorized. Now it's probably around
10x times that, plus god-knows how many services, and half of it's all
written in a "the hell with efficiency" style.

>> - I spent sooo many hours every day *working* at the computer desk, I
>> *don't* want to be be glued to it for my entertainment, too.
>>
>> - Even if I didn't use a PC for work, for my entertainment, I'd still
>> much
>> rather use a nice comfortable living room couch/TV/environment than a
>> computer desk anyway
>
> Fair enough. You can hook PCs up to a TV though, of course.

Yea, and I can replace my car's steering wheel with a one of those big
wooden things things they used to use on boats ;)

My point being, yes, it's technically doable, but to make it work *well* is
too much of a DIY project. (Plus it's not really doable for me since the
shithole I've got here has knob-and-tube wiring pretty much everywhere but
my computer desk, so nothing three-prong will work in the living room, so
it'd have to be a laptop).

Something like a softmodded Wii, OTOH, is cheap, quick, easy, and has great
results. (*Really* looking forward to the Raspberry Pi, though.)

> .
>>
>> - Plus the non-indie commercial games come with rootkits and the
>> requirement
>
> Lose the hyperbole. :P

There's no hyperbole there. PC gaming DRMs have been *known* to be
implemented as rootkits. That's plain fact. That's one of the reasons people
pirate PC games they've already legitimately bought - because it doesn't
have DRM, and therefore doesn't go screwing around with their kernel.

>> of buying new hardware twice a year. No thanks.
>
> Oh please. The hardware requirements have basically been static because of
> the age of the current consoles.

Even if that's true, it's too little, too late. Once bitten, twice shy.