video games (was Re: UFCS for D)

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Sat Mar 31 13:57:18 PDT 2012

"Adam D. Ruppe" <destructionator at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:fheaogseyibtulrhfsmg at forum.dlang.org...
> On Saturday, 31 March 2012 at 07:02:35 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> And yes, it kills me that my expensive old large screen standard def TV
>> is just a POS in comparison, even though it is in perfect working order.
>
> It might help that I have smaller tv sets. I have a 19" and
> a 13", and they have beautiful pictures.
>
> I don't want to go any bigger than this. I sit right next
> to my 13" (I can reach out and touch it right now), so
> anything bigger would just be overwhelming.
>
> I guess I physically could go bigger than the 19 inch,
> since there's plenty of room where that one is, but
> meh.

My bigger one is something like 27"-31" (ballpark, I don't remember the
exact number), and it still looks great to me.

>> I can't even stand to watch standard def anymore.
>
> Something that I found really interesting is even
> on my old tvs, the new digital broadcasts actually
> do look pretty good - better than cable and satellite.

Don't know about satellite, but Cable turned to crap about a couple years
ago. It used to be very good, but then they started compressing the fuck out
of everything, and honest to god, half the time it looks like a fucking
MPEG**1**. "Digital quality" my fucking ass. (And and there were even A/V
sync issues!)

Over-the-air broadcast literally looked *better* than that *before* the
digital switch! I'm not exagerating. And I'm *just* talking SD here!

And with what Time Warner charged for that shit quality? And they still
expect *more* money on top of that for good^H^H^H^Hawesome stations like
NHK. And they don't even show the new local subchannels like Antenna TV or
PBS's Create. And then all the shows you're paying ungodly amounts of money
for have *overlayed* ads? Oh yea, and the set-top boxes themselves don't
even work right anymore! You push a button and they'll literally just sit
unresponsive for about 10-30 seconds. Fuck that shit. I've mostly just been
watching library DVDs for the last few years, and we even got rid of cable
entirely a couple months ago. We don't regret it at all.

I actually watch *more* broadcast TV now. The "old show" stations and PBS
have such incredibly *better* directing and editing it's rediculous. And
none of that drama-queeen bullshit the other networks insist in cramming
into *everything*. *Food Network* shows are all drama-queen bullshit and
shaky-cam/rapid-fire-editing now! It's crazy, it's like they're *trying* be
as shitty as possible! But PBS is mature enough not to pull any of that
crap.

> I decided to turn off my cable last December (paying
> $55 / month to watch CBS, PBS and USA just isn't remotely
> worth it,

!!!

That's *cheap* for cable. (Still not worth it though, I agree.)