video games (was Re: UFCS for D)

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Sat Mar 31 16:48:24 PDT 2012

On Saturday, 31 March 2012 at 23:01:32 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> Certainly is. But *I* grew up on the original SegaCD version :)

I never got to play that version... but the song you mention
below, oh I know it. Track 9 on the playstation version
soundtrack cd.

> I can't believe I've still never gotten around to finishing
> either version of Lunar 2: Eternal Blue. I need to do that
> sometime.

That's actually on my list too... my brother finished lunar 2,
but I never did. But again though, sharing the room means
I know it all.

> (Although I'll admit, I did enjoy Sewer Shark

hahhahaha "relax, pretend it's a game... maybe it'll
even be fun. SHOOT THE TUBES, DOGMEAT!"

It's kinda funny when you think about all the craziness
that shapes quirks. At least in me. Every so often,
I think of one of these stupid games and I laugh
to myself, or slip it in to a conversation at random.

But, it is just a random collection of, often, really
bad things from fifteen years ago.

> - Sonic CD (One of the two best Sonic games ever made, the
> other being Sonic

Have this one. That was a fine game; the good SCD
games are the ones where they actually made a *game*
that happened to use the sega cd, not a Sega CD thing
that needs to pass for a game.

Another good one btw is Sol Feace - a pretty simple
sidescrolling space shooter, but just again, a
game that happened to be on the system.

Oh, Mortal Kombat was scd too, and it had full blood
and everything. My copy of this disappeared sometime
in the 90's though, and we never did find it.

> I used to love that song, even
> had...no...*have*...it memorized:

I think I have the words to... 9 video game songs
memorized.

I actually listen to vg music more often than anything
else.

> Definitely a good game. It might have been the first...

Yes, indeed, the first was on the sega master system.
It was a little slow moving... lots of level grinding
needed. It did that weird faux 3d dungeon thing
that was popular for a bit in the 8 bit era!

They set a nice foundation for the story there.
Uniquely, in my experience, they actually have an
ongoing story in those four games.

> I wonder which one that was. Maybe Sonic Generations?

Maybe... I was just helping his daughter through a
couple levels. She's kinda terrible at games!

But I think that does fit, since it had a time travel
plot going with younger copies of sonic and tails and
I did the chemical plant level for her.

> - Sonic 4: I love this one, despite how short it is.

Huh, I didn't even know there was a sonic 4. On the
genesis, I had 1, 2, 3, sonic+knuckles, sonic cd,
and one called sonic 3d.

Oh and sonic spinball, a pinballish game.

I guess I had a lot of them! Sonic 3 & Knuckles
was one monster of a game. Huge.

> Really? I thought 7 was universally considered the best one.

The internet nerds seem to be of two groups: the ones who
say 7 is the greatest game ever made, and the ones who
say 7 is an overrated piece of trash that has nothing
on 6.

A lot of people hate #1 and 8 though, which I don't get.
Those are fine games.

> I'm not sure I've even heard of that scene. Maybe I'll have to
> give it another chance and try to get to that.

omg just youtube it too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgZXiHfNt0M

there's more to it than that, but that's the main piece.

I guess that's arguably a SNES cutscene... but this one rocks.
They also did live versions of the song! Totally amazing.

> Huh, really? I never new that. If I had, I probably would have
> finished it.
> How do you do that?

After the training thingy, the headmaster gives you
a lamp. Use it as an item, and a demon pops out.

If you beat him, you can use it as a GF and learn
an ability Enc-Half. After that comes Enc-None.

Equip the skill and boom, no random fights.

Since you can do this fairly early in the game, you
can go through 80% of it with no random fights at all!

And since the stats mostly come from junctions, you
can get away with near zero experience too - so
missing the fights+experience isn't a dealbreaker.

> I was always more a GameCube/XBox1 guy, but there's some good
> stuff on PS2:

I haven't played any of those... I did somewhat recently
finally buy a used PS2 for myself, but barely played
it so far. Got Gran Turismo 3 and Madden 2008 for it
(for a dollar a piece, not bad!)

I played Gran Turismo 5 on the PS3 too, and that was
a fine game. A solid series they have there.

> Open-world games
> are great, but they don't always make for great spectator games.

aye.

> Heh, well, that's more of an "extra little touch" easter egg
> kinda thing anyway.

It looked really good though. My definition of
"good graphics" is often "bright, lively colors".

That's one reason I like FF1 - you have a good amount
of bright green and blue. It makes me happy. FF Tactics
too had a lot of cool bright thingies.

Too many new things are going with dull, boring colors.
Gah. Newsflash people, the real world is pretty bright!
You can be realistic and colorful, though the old
drawn animation style looks nice for itself.