video games (was Re: UFCS for D)

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Sat Mar 31 20:51:27 PDT 2012

On Sunday, 1 April 2012 at 03:10:49 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> But I tend to listen to non-game stuff more: I'm a total whore
> for Anime opening/closing themes.

Oh yes. Coincidentally, as I read this, I was playing
the opening from Zeta Gundam!

Another one I find incredibly addictive is one of
the openings from Tenchi Muyo - "Pioneer" I think
is the title.

This is one reason I like living alone though: I can
use the speakers for this stuff without embarrassment.

"are you listening to some weird Japanese song???
At 1.3x speed???"

/deal with it/

> Really? I've played only the first few minutes of all of them
> and they all seemed very different from each other.

Oh yes. They are all different, but take place in the same
setting and the events of one contribute to the next.

You get a nice sense of continuity, especially in PS4
looking back.

> Really? Oh my god, you're really missing out. Let's see:

Well, I was imprecise - I had played the XBox, but not
the specific games you listed.

I actually won an xbox in... 2003 or 2004 in a school
event contest. I think it was actually rigged, but
that's another story.

I barely played it though; by then, my gaming days
were pretty much already over.

My father and brother both got into it though, and
bought a number of games that I played a little bit
with them.

This included some baseball game (baseball btw is a
weird thing. I can't stand watching it. Baseball
on the tv is one of the most boring things I have
ever seen. But, I enjoy playing it, both in the
video game world and in the real world.), a
fighting game, Dead or Alive (2 and 3 I think),
some kind of Tony Hawk, and Halo. And Halo 2,
but that was godawful.

My brother also played a single player Star Wars
RPG on it.

Baseball is baseball, not much to say there. A pretty
solid game.

The Dead or Alive games are ridiculous though. One
word: BOOBS. But, they were pretty good for fighting
games anyway.

Tony Hawk is a nice game. I played Tony Hawk 2 on the
playstation (something I'd like to find. I think I
still have it, but idk) and I liked that one. The
xbox wasn't the same though - I could never get used
to the new controller.

And then, Halo. The single player is PURE ASS. It
just goes on forever and is horribly repetitive. I
can't play that.

Perfect Dark's single player is awesome. The levels
are varied, you have things to do, the story is
good enough, and most importantly, it moves quickly
enough that it isn't a bother.

The typical PD level can be beaten in three minutes.

Halo just went on and on.

But, multiplayer wasn't bad. It wasn't really *great*
either, but plenty playable. I like it.

My favorite part of that game though was the title
screen. That was just a cool picture and that halo
theme song rocked.

Now, Halo 2, ugh. So, the single player still
sucks... and they proceeded to break the multiplayer too.

Take a poor weapon selection from halo 1. Make it worse.

Take a mediocre level selection. Make it worse.

Take a workable life and powerup system. Ditch it.

Gah! Thankfully, my brother agreed, so we always
put in halo 1. I don't think I've ever seen halo 3,
and I don't care to.

> Good deal! I actually returned GT3 when I got it though because
> playing racing games without proper sholder triggers (for
> gas/break) sucks.

I've never even tried a game like that! Holding a button
with a thumb is the way it has always been. And the
way it always shall be.

> Although I could do without the
> pretend-it's-an-extreeeeme-TV-show announcer
> and the over-designed menus.

haha that sounds awesome. I'm reminded of one game
my brother had in... oh god, the old house, 1998 or
something.

It was a wrestling game for the playstation with
announcers.

Me, being a button masher, had little to no style,
and this game actually called me out!

"This guy is an idiot! He keeps doing the same move
over and over!"

that was great. Until they started repeating the
same commentary over and over.

> But haven't you heard? Real is brown:
> http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=222

yup.