bootDoc - advanced DDoc framework using Twitter's Bootstrap

Jakob Ovrum jakobovrum at gmail.com
Fri May 4 07:13:23 PDT 2012

On Thursday, 3 May 2012 at 06:53:42 UTC, Ary Manzana wrote:
> I don't think the main documentation order is right in the
> first place. If a module provides many functions, like
> std.algorithm, I don't see how there could possibly be an
> "intended" order, like "these are more likely to be used".
>
> In any case, if I want to quickly find a function, for example
> "remove" or "insert" or something I think might have the name
> I'm looking for, alphabetical order is the best way to go.

I agree that the current order doesn't make a whole lot of sense,
but it's something that requires one of three things; either 1) a
patch to DDoc to make it emit declarations in a different order,
or 2) post-processing of DDoc's output, or 3) dynamic reordering
with JavaScript.

Although it's actually quite trivial to implement (especially
with jQuery), I don't like the sound of #3.

The problem I have with #2 is that it indicates a problem with
the documentation generator in the first place (DMD's DDoc
implementation). I'd rather have a go at making a better DDoc
generator (maybe Descent is a good start? A new project using SDC
is another option) than go down route #2.