bootDoc - advanced DDoc framework using Twitter's Bootstrap

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Fri May 4 07:48:02 PDT 2012

On Fri, 04 May 2012 09:56:48 -0400, Jakob Ovrum <jakobovrum at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thursday, 3 May 2012 at 14:30:38 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>> I suggest:
>>
>> 1. Only expand tree to the level of the current symbol selected.  So
>> for instance, you click on std.datetime, you see all the top-level
>> symbols of std.datetime *not* expanded.  If you click on
>> std.datetime.Month, the Month enum expands in the tree.
>
> You mean like the module list currently works with packages and modules?

I don't see it working that way.  If I click on etc.c.sqlite3 for example,
it doesn't collapse std.

Essentially, what I mean is, I should only see the parents, immediate
children, and siblings of the currently selected item in the tree *by
default*, and then let the user expand if he's interested in more.  I only
suggest this for the module, though.

For example, std.datetime has a huge tree, but everything is expanded
fully.  If all the top-level items are collapsed, then I don't have to go
as far to navigate for something.

>> 2. When inside a module, only show the packages of that module as
>> breadcrumbs, without indentation.  That saves you the white space.
>
> Packages of a module?

packages that a module is in.  For example, etc.c.sqlite3 is in packages
etc and c.  If we make those breadcrumbs instead of part of a large tree,
it can get around your worry about whitespace, because they don't need
separate indentation.

>> 2. The index.html goes to links like std_base64.html, but the actual
>> doc is at std.base64.html, so you get a 404.
>
> The links on the index page are generated from hard-coded HTML in
> index.d. With the new fix for the noscript sidebar, file names must use
> a dot as a package separator, while the hard-coded paths use an
> underscore (the package separator in output files is configurable, by
> the way). Previously the links incidentally worked because the output
> was configured with underscores.
>
> So the problem really lies with the Phobos documentation for using
> hard-coded links. I think the noscript sidebar is more important than
> the (terribly outdated) index page, which could be fixed by editing the
> source anyway (I suppose I could easily do this for the Phobos bootDoc
> demo).

OK, not a big deal then.  Part of the problem with phobos ddoc in this
regard is that cross-links are defined in each individual module.

-Steve