dvm (Was: denv - D version of rbenv)

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Fri May 4 14:31:07 PDT 2012

"Jacob Carlborg" <doob at me.com> wrote in message
news:jo1gri$1prf$1 at digitalmars.com...
> On 2012-05-04 21:38, Masahiro Nakagawa wrote:
>
>> Yes. But I don't know the detail of dvm implementation.
>> rbenv is a small and compact version manager than rvm.
>> (If you want to know more comparison of rbenv and rvm,
>> See https://github.com/sstephenson/rbenv )
>
> DVM can't even do half of the things RVM can. DVM can basically only
> install compilers and switch between installed compilers. It can build DMD
> as well, always forgets that.

There's a little more work could probably be done on DVM's dmd-compiling. It
doesn't support passing options to the makefiles. And IIRC it always does a
full clean rebuild, it really should have "clean" separate, so you don't
have to recompile *everything* every time.

Speaking of, although I haven't had time to do anything on DVM lately (and
probably won't anytime soon :( ), I have been thinking about what you said a
while back about it needing some refactoring:

Last time it was brought up, I was unsure of quite what you had in mind. I
was under the impression that you wanted to redesign the whole way the
command system *worked*. It's occurred to me that's maybe not what you
meant? Were you thinking that the *system* of commands would work the same
way as now, but just some commands/subcommands need to be moved around, the
stuff that's kind of an ugly "internal psuedo-command" should be promoted to
a true command/subcommand, etc?

>> I like rbenv, so I ported.
>
> Fair enough. That's why I ported RVM :)

I had no idea it was ported from anything! :)  (I've used Ruby, but mostly
just for writing rakefiles.)