DCT: D compiler as a collection of libraries

Roman D. Boiko rb at d-coding.com
Fri May 11 06:36:35 PDT 2012

On Friday, 11 May 2012 at 13:28:21 UTC, deadalnix wrote:
> Le 11/05/2012 15:01, Roman D. Boiko a écrit :
>> The problem with placing it in Token is that Token should not
>> know
>> anything about source as a whole.
>
> I don't really see the benefit of this. You are trading a O(1)
> operation to an O(log(n)) . It can only be faster in specific
> cases, which should be measured.
It would be interesting to see benchmarks. But anyway log(1M) is
just 20, and I didn't see any source code with 1M lines :). The
main point is design, not performance. I'm trying to build
minimal design that handles common use cases very well, and
others well enough. I don't see why Location would be needed for
every Token.

> It is likely to be slower on compiling erroneous code or used
> for something else than compiling, and likely to be
> insignificant to compile correct code (I suspect the
> performance win is negligible compared to the time required to
> build a fully operational executable).
IMO, it is unrelated.
> You are overcomplicating things for no to little benefice.
Well, it depends... However, I will provide design rationale
document this month.