Visual D 0.3.32 maintenance release

Rainer Schuetze r.sagitario at gmx.de
Sun May 13 05:31:44 PDT 2012

resending due to NNTP error, sorry if it causes duplicates.

> On Sunday, May 13, 2012 13:48:39 Rainer Schuetze wrote:
>>>
>>> Can you please move it to github?
>>
>> I considered that aswell recently, but I'm not yet convinced.
>>
>> I see the increase in contributions to dmd after the move to github, but
>> my own experience with it has not been too positive: making patches for
>> dmd is rather time consuming, I always have to struggle to get the
>> simple stuff done (while it was just adding a diff to the bugzilla in
>> the subversion times). As a result, the number of patches that I have
>> provided has dropped considerably. My feeling is that git allows a lot
>> of complex things at the cost of making standard operations much more
>> complicated than necessary.
>>
>> Using git/github is probably less work for you compared to svn, but this
>> also depends on a rather large infrastructure like the auto tester. I'm
>> not sure it does actually help for a project with very few contributors.
>>
>> There haven't been a lot of community contributions to Visual D so far.
>> To everybody interested: Would a move to github change that?
>
> You actually find patches to be easier than using github? That strikes me as
> odd. I've always found patches to be a pain to deal with and git and github
> have been really easy overall. You just make your changes on another branch,
> push them up to github, and then create a pull request. If you're the one
> merging in the changes, it's as easy as pushing the "merge" button the pull
> request, and it's in the main repository.
>
> Now, I don't deal with Visual D at all (I'm always on Linux, if nothing else),
> so I wouldn't be a contributor, and I have no idea if very many more people
> would be contribute if it were on github, but I'd definitely expect it to be
> easier for people to contribute if it were up on github than it would be for
> them to create patches and send those to you.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

The problem is that I need/want to use a branch of dmd that incorporates
a number of patches, and that is where I start making additional
changes. To send a pull request, I have to create a new branch, copy the
changes into it, push it and make the pull request. I have created a
batch to do that, but every other pull request something breaks and I
start cursing...

With the workflow of bugzilla/svn it was just copy and pasting the diff
into the bug report. I understand it is easier on Walter's side, though.