Visual D 0.3.32 maintenance release

Ary Manzana ary at esperanto.org.ar
Sun May 13 06:25:55 PDT 2012

On 5/13/12 7:31 PM, Rainer Schuetze wrote:
> resending due to NNTP error, sorry if it causes duplicates.

>>> I considered that aswell recently, but I'm not yet convinced.
>>>
>>> I see the increase in contributions to dmd after the move to github, but
>>> my own experience with it has not been too positive: making patches for
>>> dmd is rather time consuming, I always have to struggle to get the
>>> simple stuff done (while it was just adding a diff to the bugzilla in
>>> the subversion times). As a result, the number of patches that I have
>>> provided has dropped considerably. My feeling is that git allows a lot
>>> of complex things at the cost of making standard operations much more
>>> complicated than necessary.
>>>
>>> Using git/github is probably less work for you compared to svn, but this
>>> also depends on a rather large infrastructure like the auto tester. I'm
>>> not sure it does actually help for a project with very few contributors.
>>>
>>> There haven't been a lot of community contributions to Visual D so far.
>>> To everybody interested: Would a move to github change that?
>>
>> You actually find patches to be easier than using github? That strikes
>> me as
>> odd. I've always found patches to be a pain to deal with and git and
>> github
>> have been really easy overall. You just make your changes on another
>> branch,
>> push them up to github, and then create a pull request. If you're the one
>> merging in the changes, it's as easy as pushing the "merge" button the
>> pull
>> request, and it's in the main repository.
>>
>> Now, I don't deal with Visual D at all (I'm always on Linux, if
>> nothing else),
>> so I wouldn't be a contributor, and I have no idea if very many more
>> people
>> would be contribute if it were on github, but I'd definitely expect it
>> to be
>> easier for people to contribute if it were up on github than it would
>> be for
>> them to create patches and send those to you.
>>
>> - Jonathan M Davis
>
> The problem is that I need/want to use a branch of dmd that incorporates
> a number of patches, and that is where I start making additional
> changes. To send a pull request, I have to create a new branch, copy the
> changes into it, push it and make the pull request. I have created a
> batch to do that, but every other pull request something breaks and I
> start cursing...
>
> With the workflow of bugzilla/svn it was just copy and pasting the diff
> into the bug report. I understand it is easier on Walter's side, though.

But where did you get the diff from? I'm sure you checked out the
project and made the changes on it. If that's the case, then it's the
same as forking and cloning.

I *do* expect contributions to appear in Visual D. Since it's so easy to
contribute in github, and it is standarized: people know how to do it:
fork, work, make a pull request (as opposed to making a patch, sending
it... mmm... is that the author's email? I hope it does work. And I hope
it checks emails and mine doesn't go to the spam folder! Um, maybe I
should post in the forums... but does he read them? Ah, maybe I will
leave the patch for another day).