Visual D 0.3.32 maintenance release

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Sun May 13 12:38:51 PDT 2012

On 5/13/2012 10:41 AM, Brad Roberts wrote:
> Also, for what it's worth, a project with
> multiple contributors are is much more likely to survive for the long haul than a one man project.

A number of great projects still "die on the vine". The problem is, it's not
enough to create a great project. You've got to flog it. All successful
businesses know this - they have huge marketing & promotion efforts.

Consider the ipad. Is it so great that Apple doesn't need to do any marketing or
promotion? Maybe, but there's no way in hell Apple is going to take such a risk.
I see Apple promotion for it everywhere.

Flogging it would be things like:

1. Writing articles about it.

2. Doing presentations on it.

3. Keeping an eye on the forums, newsgroups, reddit, etc., for opportunities to
mention it.

4. Google has a feature where they'll email you links to any new hits on a
search topic. It's a great way to find other articles on your products, or
related ones.

5. Writing tutorials about it.

6. Having some decent web site for it.

For example, coming to the D Conference in September and doing a
presentation/workshop on it!

Fortunately, the above doesn't cost money, but it does cost significant time.
But look at it this way - if you aren't willing to flog it, then the time you
invest in developing it is likely wasted, unless you're lucky enough that
another champion emerges to do it for you.