dpj for Windows

dnewbie run3 at myopera.com
Sun May 20 08:37:55 PDT 2012

On Sunday, 20 May 2012 at 03:53:43 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> "dnewbie" <run3 at myopera.com> wrote in message
> news:qufvdhexcdzabuzqrvgm at forum.dlang.org...
>> dpj is a mini-ide for the D programming language.
>> http://my.opera.com/run3/blog/2012/05/20/dpj
>>

> That's a good start! Not bad. Is it written in D?

It started as a D project, then I've moved it to C.

> A few notes:
>
> - It's much faster to just pass all the files to dmd at once and
> compile/link all in one step. So, instead of this:
>
> dmd -wi -c a.d -ofoutput\a.d
> dmd -wi -c b.d -ofoutput\b.d
> dmd -ofa.exe output\a.obj output\b.obj
>
> Just do this:
>
> dmd -wi -ofa.exe -odoutput a.d b.d
>
> It's a lot faster, plus in my experience compiling separately
> can sometimes
> lead to linking problems (somehting to do with how dmd handles
> templates, I
> think).

Understood.

> - To support things like ldc, gdc and dvm (via ldmd, gdmd,
> dvm-current-dc.bat, etc...), the config file should take a path
> to the
> actual exe or bat (such as dmd.exe) the users wants to run,
> instead of just
> the path to "dmd.exe".
>
> So like "dmd_path=C:\D\dmd2\windows\bin\dmd.exe" insetad of
> "dmd_path=C:\D\dmd2\windows\bin"

The project file is actually a GNU makefile with special
variables.
I'll see how can I make a makefile that supports multiple
compilers
and compile/link in one step.

> - The first couple times I made a new project I got some error
> about it not
> being able to copy a template. But then it seemed to work ok
> anyway. I don't
> remember exactly what it said, and it doesn't seem to be
> happening anymore
> (don't know why) so I can't check.

It happens when either the destination file already exists, or
when the template file is missing. I'll add a more descriptive
message.

> - It *seems* to start up with a default blank project, but you
> can't use it.
> You still have to go to "File->New project". That's a little
> confusing.
>
> - It'd be good to be able to select and copy the text in the
> compilation
> panel at the bottom.
>
> - It'd be intuitive to be able to add files to a project by
> right-clicking
> "D source files" or whatever and then have "Add file(s)..." in
> a drop-down
> menu.
>
> - More features and configurability with both building and
> interface would
> be nice to have in later versions, ie more bells and whistles ;)

Right. I'll improve it as time permits.

> I love that the interface is super-fast, light on memory, and
> uses the
> native system controls. And the automatic build management and
> "Help" links
> are really nice to have.

Thanks for the feedback!