D Conference 2012 - Sep 26-29 at the Banker's Suite and Ballroom in Astoria, Oregon

Simen Kjaeraas simen.kjaras at gmail.com
Fri May 25 05:44:06 PDT 2012

On Fri, 25 May 2012 14:25:47 +0200, simendsjo <simendsjo at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 25 May 2012 14:13:24 +0200, Simen Kjaeraas
> <simen.kjaras at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> A.  No.
>> Q.  Does top-posting make sense?
>
> In emails to non-newsgroup people: yes!
> I've sent several mails where the receiver doesn't think I've answered
> anything (or doesn't read everything) because outlook always top-posts.

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt:

"   - If you are sending a reply to a message or a posting be sure you
       summarize the original at the top of the message, or include just
       enough text of the original to give a context.  This will make
       sure readers understand when they start to read your response.
       Since NetNews, especially, is proliferated by distributing the
       postings from one host to another, it is possible to see a
       response to a message before seeing the original.  Giving context
       helps everyone.  But do not include the entire original!"

But yes, you're sadly right.