Purity in D – new article

Don Clugston dac at nospam.com
Tue May 29 05:08:07 PDT 2012

On 27/05/12 22:56, David Nadlinger wrote:
> Some of you might remember that I have been meaning to write a
> comprehensive introduction to design and use of purity for quite some
> while now – I finally got around to do so:
>
> http://klickverbot.at/blog/2012/05/purity-in-d/
>
> Feedback and criticism of all kinds very welcome!
>
> David

For the part about floating-point calculations:

As this would be an impractical restriction, in D pure functions are
allowed to read and write floating point flags
+ (ie, the floating point state is regarded as a variable implicitly
passed to every pure function).

And to set the record straight -- the relaxed purity ideas were not my idea.
I forget who first said them, but it wasn't me. I just championed them.